Handouts: Mueller – College Transition Tips
These books are recommended reading from Gloria Mueller:
1. Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding the College Years by Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger
2. Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be by Frank Bruni (GPS speaker April 8, 2015)
3. Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money – The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years by Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller
4. How to Raise An Adult: Break Free of the Over Parenting Trap and Prepare Your Kid for Success by Julie Lythcott-Haims (GPS speaker Oct 8, 2015)
Two events for college-bound seniors and their families: Discover valuable insights to make the transition a happier time for college-bound students and their families and receive assistance completing your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
Gloria Mueller – The College Transition: Movin’ On/The Road to Adulthood
Sat, Feb 6 @ 10:30 am – 12:00 pm, Meeting Room 250
Gloria Mueller will address academic, social, behavioral and emotional issues crucial to college success, such as setting personal expectations and boundaries, time management skills, separation anxiety, homesickness, communication, social media, campus safety and more. Students and parents are encouraged to attend. Mueller’s wit, anecdotes and valuable insights promise to make the transition to college a happier time for all. Mueller has worked with college-bound students and their parents for more than 30 years as dean of students and college counselor. A free continental breakfast will be provided.
FAFSA Financial Aid Completion Workshop for Seniors
Sat, Feb 6 @ 9:30 am – 12:00 pm, Glenbard East Computer Lab
A FAFSA Financial Aid Completion Workshop will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon in Glenbard East’s computer lab. This workshop is for seniors and their families. Participants will receive one-on-one assistance from financial aid specialists from the Illinois Assistance Corps to file the FAFSA form online. Please bring the following necessary documentation:
- 2014 Federal tax return (2015 preferred)
- 2015 W2 forms
- record of untaxed income and investment/asset /business value.
Assistance will be available in Spanish and English
Please note the February 20 deadline for the submission of financial aid forms If you are planning to file your 2016-17 FAFSA. Be sure to apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN online at www.pin.ed.gov.
Sabado, 6 de Febrero.
Taller de trabajo sobre el llenado de la solicitud de ayuda financiera FAFSA para Seniors (Es necesario traer los formatos necesarios)
En Español e Inglés de 9:30am a 10:00pm en el Laboratorio de Computación de Glenbard East.